9 Sept 2019 | Daily current affairs
1. World number two Rafael Nadal defeated world number five and first-time Grand Slam finalist Daniil Medvedev to win his fourth US Open title. It was Nadal’s 19th Grand Slam Title while Federer has won 20 Grand Slam Titles
2. Anupriya Madhumita Lakra, 27, is the first tribal woman to become a commercial pilot. She is from Maoist-affected Malkangiri district of Odisha Lakra will join the Indigo airline as a co-pilot.
3. Justice Senior judge of the Allahabad High Court, Justice Vikram Nath, has been appointed as the Chief Justice of the Gujarat High Court. Notably, the Supreme Court Collegium reversed its earlier recommendation to appoint Nath as the Chief Justice of the Andhra Pradesh High Court on the Centre’s request.
4. World number 15 Bianca Andreescu has become the first Canadian to win a Grand Slam singles title. The 19-year-old Bianca achieved the feat by defeating 23-time Grand Slam champion Serena Williams in the US Open final.
5. Prime Minister Narendra Modi has inaugurated the 10,000-acre Aurangabad Industrial City (AURIC), India’s first greenfield industrial smart city. The utilities in the city will be managed by the Command and Control Centre, which is housed in the five-storey administrative building called the Auric Hall. AURIC city is part of the Delhi-Mumbai Industrial Corridor
6. Veteran Supreme Court lawyer and former Union Minister Ram Jethmalani passed away in Delhi. He was 95. Jethmalani had served as the Law Minister and the Minister of Urban Affairs in the Atal Bihari Vajpayee-led NDA government.
7. Veeru is best known for his roles in ‘Raja Hindustani’ and ‘Ishq’ and has also trained many actors in Kathak.
8. Britain’s Jamie Murray and USA’s Bethanie Mattek-Sands defeated top seeds New Zealand’s Michael Venus and Taiwan’s Chan Hao-ching to retain their US Open mixed doubles title.